Sunday, February 10, 2013

Helvetica, the documentary film

I found Helvetica on Netflix this weekend after hearing about it from a fellow student in another class. I was interested to see an interview with Stefan Sagmeister (among many other well-known graphic designers and typographers), who was recently the guest speaker at the Society of Design's most recent lecture event. Before watching this documentary, I had no idea how frequently Helvetica is used. I saw many famous brands and companies that use Helvetica in some form as their official typeface on TV, for logos, signs, or graphics, including the IRS (on tax forms). It was then I realized why it is so well received and widely used: it has a simple, clean, official look to it. And that is the same reason why some designers hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment